No.63601 Makes its Final Run before a 10 year Overhaul
On 24th June, 2012 the Grand Old Lady of the Great Central Railway made its final journey before retiring for a full 10 year overall.
GCR 8K Class (LNER O4) No.63601 was built at the Gorton Works of the Great Central Railway in January, 1912. It arrived at the present day GCR in 1996 and after a comprehensive restoration entered traffic on 29th January, 2000. Since then it has been a regular and reliable performer on the railway hauling passenger, demonstration freight trains and the famous Windcutter rake of mineral wagons.
On its final weekend in service it hauled a series of passenger trains culminating a a special departure from Loughborough Central on Sunday, 24th June, 2012. The return service from Leicester North departed at 18:10.
The locomotive was turned out in immaculate condition and as usual performed perfectly. No.63601 will now have a detailed assessment of the work necessary to return it to service once again. It is a process that is expected to take a few years.
The GCR is honoured and privileged to have been the custodian of this classic locomotive, part of the National Collection. The GCR will work closely with the National Railway Museum over the detail of the restoration.