Spring Diesel Gala – 18th and 19th March 2017
Visiting special guest Class 33 33063 and Class 08 08480 join five home fleet locos, including 37714 in a new livery for our 2017 Spring Diesel Gala.
Join us for a busy gala weekend of intensive running of our heritage diesel fleet, featuring special guest Class 33 33063 and Class 08 08480 (formerly Toton No 1).
We will be working the locos to a seriously intensive timetable, only possible on GCR's double track.
We're also expecting to run shunter shuttles each day with 08480, 08528 (D3690), 08694 (subject to completion of repairs) and 08907 operating trains between Loughborough and Quorn.
There will be a wide variety of food and drink available at this event. Our renowned griddle car will be in traffic offering a selection of hot and cold meals, from our famous all day breakfasts to our light bite sandwiches. This will operate throughout both days in the Carriage set marked A in the timetable.
A hot dog stall will also be available at Loughborough Central station.
A real ale bar will be available in the General Waiting Room at Loughborough Central station from 11:00 am. Beers will be available from the following selection:
- HB Clarke Crystal Gold 4.2% abv
- Dukeries Heritage Pale 4.4%
- Lincoln Green Hood 4.2%
- Merrie City Atlantic Hop 4.0%
- Shipstones Nut Brown 4.0%
- Titanic Plum Porter 4.9%
- Pentrich Klama 5.0%
- Burton Bridge Spring Ale 4.7%
- Nottingham Raleway Ale 4.3%
All priced at £3.00 per pint, £1.50 per half
Cask cider: Broadoak Moonshine 7.5% & Broadoak Old Bristolian 7.5%. Both £3.50 per pint
Saturday evening Beer-ex
On Saturday trains will be running well into the evening, with our first departure at 17:15 hauled by guest locomotive No. 33063. The Beer-ex will then be hauled by both 33063 and D6535 in top and tail formation at 18:45, 19:55 and 21:05. An evening menu will be available as follows:
- Toad in the hole, mash, peas and gravy. (Vegetarian sausage and Gravy option available). £6.50
- Vegetable hotpot and rice. (V). £6.50
- Beef Stroganoff, rice and garlic bread. £6.50
All menu choices can be taken at the bar throughout the day and will be served on the 18:45 departure from Loughborough.
37714 appearing in new livery!
Class 37 37714 will appear for the first time in its new livery of BR Railfreight Grey (Metals Sector). The loco will also be carrying a new name which will be revealed at the gala.
We're expecting to run Shunter Shuttles between Loughborough and Quorn with special guest 08480 appearing courtesy of Railway Support Services. This will be 08632's first work before entering service in the RSS fleet. Resident Class 08's 08528 (D3690), 08694, and 08907 are expected to appear subject to completion of repairs.
- Special guest Class 33 33063 appearing courtesy of South East Locomotive Group and Spa Valley Railway.
- Special guest Class 08 08480 (formerly Toton No 1) appearing on shunter shuttles courtesy of Railway Support Services.
- Class 20 D8098.
- Class 25 D5185.
- Class 31 D5830.
- Class 33 D6535 - Unfortunately D6535 is unavailable on Sunday 19th due to a technical problem - Please see updated timetable for revised loco diagrams.
- Class 37 37714 appearing fresh from repaint in BR Railfreight Grey (Metals Sector) livery.
- Class 08 08528 (D3690) - Shunter shuttles.
- Class 08 08694 - Shunter shuttles (subject to completion of repairs).
- Class 08 08907 - Shunter shuttles (subject to completion or works).
A gala programme is available free to event ticket holders from our station Booking Offices*. Visitors purchasing tickets online in advance of the event, please present your ticket at any of our Booking Offices to receive a free copy of the programme*. *While stocks last.
The programme is otherwise £2 where sold.
Live Updates service
Our free Live Updates service will be available for mobile phone and tablets owners. The service provides up-to-the-minute information on services, including any service alterations at www.gcrailway.co.uk/liveupdates
Children: £10 (aged 5-16 inclusive)
Family Ticket: £40 (2 adults & up to 3 children)
Family Ticket: £25 (1 adult & up to 3 children)
Under 5s: Free of charge
No short hop tickets available between stations.
Platform tickets at Loughborough Central are available for £5 at this event. These are not valid on trains.
*Normal discounts apply for members of Friends of Great Central Main Line to buy Privilege rate tickets (£11 adult, £6 child) upon production of membership card. *HRA pass holders can travel at Privilege rates. *Working members of other heritage railways with whom GCR has reciprocal arrangements for reduced fares, will be eligible for Privilege fares upon production of valid working membership cards. *Same arrangements apply as above for holders of ex British Rail and Train Operating Company passes.
All attractions and locomotives are subject to availability. GCR reserves the right to cancel or amend any attraction or service.